Ok, it has been a while since I posted a tasty temptation. Those who know me well are quite familiar with my love of comfort food. Here's one of my favorite recipes for when you want something really decadent. Paired with a nice beef fillet and a beautiful side salad, this dish never disappoints. Great for company or complete self indulgence and definitely not on the Weight Watcher's menu. ;)
Roasted Asparagus and Red Pepper Lasagna
Serves 6 to 8
- 1-1/2 lbs. fresh asparagus
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or neutral oil such as canola of safflower
- Salt and pepper
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8oz of goat cheese
- Salt, to taste
- 3 or 4 large fresh lasagna noodles or parboiled regular lasagna noodles (no boil lasagna noodles work too, but I soak them in water for 15 minutes first)
- 1 packed cup grated mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Trim woody ends from asparagus and discard. Cut asparagus spears into 2” lengths. Toss with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Lightly brush red pepper with olive oil.
- Spread asparagus pieces on a baking sheet in one layer. Lay red pepper on rack next to baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 12 minutes, until vegetables are just beginning to soften. Remove from the oven and let them cool slightly. Peel and seed red pepper, then cut into 2" lengths.
- While asparagus and peppers are roasting, prepare sauce. In a large saucepan, heat butter on medium heat until fully melted and beginning to bubble slightly. Add flour and whisk briskly until incorporated into butter.
- Cook butter and flour mixture for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, whisking constantly. As the mixture begins to thicken slightly (about 2 minutes), add the goat cheese and the heavy cream. Continue to stir sauce until smooth.
- Season with salt to taste. Remove sauce from the heat.
- In a dish approximately 9” X 12” X 3”, spread 1/3 of the roasted asparagus spears evenly on the bottom. Drizzle 1/3 of the sauce over asparagus, top with 1/4 of the parmesean cheese and 1/4 of red pepper strips. Top with a layer of fresh lasagna noodles, cut to fit the pan.
- Repeat the layers: asparagus, peppers, sauce parmesean and noodles, asparagus, peppers, sauce. Make sure the final layer is sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and golden.
- To serve: let the lasagna cool for about 20 minutes. Use a very sharp knife to slice through the asparagus. Accompany with a salad and crusty bread.