Saturday, June 13, 2009

Can't Stop Smiling!


I love my life! Each day I celebrate who I am, who I'm with and what I do. I have a wonderful husband, two great kids and I get to spend my days (and some evenings) in the world's most beautiful art gallery. Sure, many days bring with them a variety of challenges, but I have learned that I am capable of most anything I set my mind to and that most obstacles are indeed surmountable. Now, if only I had the means to resurrect the economy. ;)

This week, like so many, was extra special. I'm almost positive that the man who delivered our latest gallery arrival, did not enjoy a warmer welcome anywhere else on his route that day. After months of anticipation, "Unbound" by Karl Jensen is finally here. Cocooned in her custom built crate, tailored just for her like a designer gown, she arrived in perfect condition. I could hardly contain my excitement. It was like being 5 years old and the proud recipient of a real live pony.

I've known about her for a while. I'm honored that Karl Jensen created her after I suggested to him some time ago that a larger version of "Dream Flight" or something similar would be a wonderful addition to the gallery. She is incredible; even more beautiful than I imagined she would be. Thank you Mr. Jensen for the tears of joy and the smile that continues to decorate my face.

So, while writing this post, I have enjoyed another delightfully fun day at QCFA. Last week, a local vintner and his wife inquired if they could include the gallery as one of several stops in a treasure hunt that they were planning. Rather than a back yard BBQ or a sit down dinner, the happy couple decided to celebrate their 10 year anniversary by sending their family and friends on a downtown adventure. There were to be four groups, of around 20 people each, that would visit the gallery between 2 and 4pm.

As each group arrived they were to browse the gallery and find a piece of art that reminds them of love, makes them smile and perhaps even laugh out loud. They had several other stops on their list and could only stay a short while, but while each group was here, the gallery buzzed with excitement as the participants discovered and enjoyed their favorite paintings and sculpture.

Prior to the event, Mr. and Mrs. Mahaffey (a.k.a. the happy couple) delivered 80 spectacular roses to the gallery. Well over two feet long, each rose was perfect. Half of them were a lovely shade of pink the others were reminded me of the orange that you see in a very memorable sunset. Once each group was finished enjoying the art, my instructions were to present each person with a rose. Their next task was to find a complete stranger outside the gallery and gift them their rose. Kathryn (our new gallery intern) and I, very much enjoyed watching these random acts of kindness and the resulting smiles from the unsuspecting passers by. In between groups, I strolled outside for a little sunshine and noticed that one shy participant had left their rose with "Carefree" who stands outside the gallery doors each day to greet our gallery guests. :)

What fun! Some of their other stops included a local wine tasting room, where the proprietor would pour two tastings of wines made in 1999. (the year that they married) A local candy shop where each participants received a hand-made truffle bearing the Mahaffey's initials and a local thrift store where they were to spend no more than $10 on a "romantic gift." I managed to see some of $10 gift bags. Each of them contained some very clever and amusing items.

Congratulations Mr. and Mrs. Mahaffey. Thank you for including us in your anniversary celebration!

So much to smile about! What a fun day!

No comments: